Friday, August 31, 2007

Life Lessons

I am going to try to keep this post brief as I really need to get to work, but I tell you I have learned a lot of life lessons over the past few weeks

First of all there is no question that I was at risk of allowing poker to take over my life. The shadow mission concept certainly applies here. Poker was taking away from my quality of life and certainly not adding to it in many ways.

Secondly with poker as with anything in life if you want it too badly you may choke it too death by trying to hard. I ended up chasing long bad sessions, with twice as long worse sessions, and while yes it was a bad run, it also could almost have been a cosmic intervention of some kind too. I needed something to show me how stressful poker was making my life.

Thirdly a community is very important for whatever you do in life. Don't isolate yourself, and be honest with those around you. You may just find that they are either struggling with the same things you are and or even better they may have a better solution than you.

So all in all I did retire.... and I still am retired from my quest to hit that run and not go pro but have poker contribute significantly to my financial position with regularity would be the best way to say it.

I practically was busted out, and it was for good I can say now. I gave away my last few freerolls, to Gilby and shyguy and they came through for me. Sort of a reverse intervention of sorts. Gilby took on the challenge of a 5K free roll and took an ugly beat to finish out of the money. The chips went in as a huge favorite what more can be done. Shyguy ran better and played really well (or so it sounds) and hit a mid level micro stakes cash, and we split it.

I am not even worried about what is there now to keep me alive. I am putting all other aspects of my life first now and it feels great!

And you know what. The hour or two I might sit down when I truly have some leisure time, I am having fun, not stressing out, and .... winning

Now before anyone says slippery slope, please understand that when there is a completely different mind set in place, it really isn't about that. The goal switch is off, the hope switch is off, and the only thing that is there if I get some time to play, is what brought me to the game in the first place.... and what makes me love chess for that matter.... to learn, to improve, to have the mental challenge and make the best decisions I can, and learn when it doesn't work out.

So retired yes, but that doesn't mean I won't be improving at a slow burn.... well enough for now, I have stuff to do people!!!

Note: for future posts I will enjoy getting out of life's lessons and back into poker lessons as the opportunity arises

No comments: