Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Worthy of note

I haven't been blogging as much as I have been posting on PCH, but here is a post that I think I need to post here to remember:

btw I think it's a good idea to share what finally fixed my want to step up. I held a belief that caused most of the want to step up. I believed that poker wasn't really poker until you hit $1 because anything lower the craziest shit happens because it's only $20 bucks or $50 bucks.But what fixed me to see this is WRONG was:

1) Slurpee Dude - saying it 4000 times to me and consistently showing me that he had that humble ability to play at any level and for a cocky mf he kept his ego out of his stakes.... it eventually started to sink in....
2) Being here showed me that the same insane manic crazy ass play happen at higher stakes too. Take some of Travis's or Clayton's posted hands. It is all relative and I see that now,
3) This facebook mess age from a friend who was regularly winning at live poker. This guy I respect a lot. He is basically a mad genius in life and he was this straight with me after a "why me, I am so good" rant like you have all seen here. He replied with this:

Quote
"I hear you're pain. I've good news and bad news for you although maybe it's kind of arrogant for me to presume I can give you advice. First, though, you can't really be serious about a million hands can you? Um, I figure that's about 15 years at 40 hours a week. So the answer's no. Anyhow, the bad news is that although the donkeys at micro limits can definitely get lucky and stack you once in a while, they are still easier to beat than simply bad, good and very good players. In other words, if you can't beat bad players, you can't beat good ones. Sorry dude. The good news is that it sounds like you're doing the things you need to do to become a good player, mostly meaning it sounds like you've got discipline. And you're reading books. It sounds like you're playing freerolls when you can but spend the rest of your time playing NL cash games. That sounds like a pretty good idea. Although it may not be intuitive, NL cash games have a lower variance than limit cash games at what seem to be comparable stakes and certainly less variance than tourneys. So, NL cash games are definitely where you want to spend you time. All I can say is keep reading books. Let me know if I got the wrong impression about what you're doing. Like, let me know if you're playing more limit than NL, because there's some good computer programs you could get that will help you build mad skills fast."

I tried hard to reply back and save my dignity after that reply.... an couldn't. The light went on, I get it now.

--Felter

btw that buddy of mine isn't playing right now because he feels he "just doesn't need more money right now" bless him. Mad genius I tell you. I have a agreat story about getting arrested with this Dude that I will share later lol oh and as a live only player he had a hard time believing the 800k+ hands I have played

No comments: